Thursday, July 15, 2021

Wrinkled Earth

My Travel Log: 

Continuing my travels along the beach which stretches from Oceanside to Torrey Pines (my foot travels so far) I have discovered some interesting things, to me anyway.  I've discovered the best beaches (without stones and rocks), I've seen palatial homes hemmed in by tattered and weathered shacks, and I've determined the favorite surf breaks by the number of surfers clamoring for a wave.  I've seen certain spots where excess seaweed is washed up from an apparent underwater seaweed field nearby, and I've witnessed the Snowy Egret feeding along the shore as the wave recedes back to the ocean uncovering a bug to eat.  

Something that is very familiar and obvious is the ever-present sign warning of bluff failure. 


Along our beaches we have high bluffs and cliffs scattered throughout the topography.  Some of them are really high and the dangerous.  The wind and weather and of course the ocean has had a severe effect on their stability.  Through erosion, soil and rock are being dissolved from the earth’s crust and washed down onto the beach.  As the bluffs weather, they become textured and wrinkled waiting for the gradual destruction from the elements. 

Some of the residences along the bluffs are in precarious positions.  Owners and the local governments collaborate to try and shore up the bluffs to prevent their collapse. And walkers and sunbathers are warned of their danger.

But there is something beautiful about the way nature slowly reclaims the land back to itself through time.  I found this spot where erosion from nature is making its mark; what texture, what design and style.  And in time it will all wash onto the beach and be swept out into the ocean.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment