Friday, January 22, 2016

Mouth Hanger

So I do a lot of surf photography; I have a super big lens which allows me to reach out there.  I am a land photographer... meaning I don't get out into the water.  Not that I don't get wet!  When the high tides are in, sometimes you just can't get away from one of those rouge waves.  And besides, the water is cold.

But I digress:  the other day, while at Swami Reef in Encinitas, CA, I see these young guys heading out on their boards:  groms, they call them (skilled young guys who love to rip on their boards!).  I noticed that one of the guys had a funny thing in his mouth so when he came ashore I approached to see the set up.  He had a mouth fixture to hold his GoPro Hero+3.  It didn't look really comfortable, chomping on it like a bit in a horse's mouth.

The guys were from Portugal and were enjoying the high surf.  Extremely friendly, enthusiastic,  but they were a bit out of their element with the high surf.  But they tried. So he posed for me with a promise that I would post it for him.

GoPro cameras are awesome.  The footage you can get with them, think POV (point-of-view), is incredible.  I have a couple and use them for various projects for added value to the assignment.  If you don't have one, check them out.  They can be fun for the creative.

Tech details:  Fuji x100s; ISO 200; f5.6; 1/640 sec.  Natural light.  Processed in Adobe CS6
©2016 James David Phenicie   All Rights Reserved.

#surf  #surfer  #photography  #gopro  #male  #portrait  #phenicie  #water  #ocean  #pacific  #socal  #swami


No comments:

Post a Comment